Week 2 – Awaken to Your Presence
Jan 10-16, 2021
“Lord, help us let go of anything distracting us from your presence so that we can lean into intimacy with you.”
Ice Breaker & Opening Thought
- What is the biggest distraction in your life right now? What do you do to overcome it?
- Every day we reach out to others with small “bids for emotional connection.” These can be simple like, “did you see the game last night,” or big, “I don’t think my spouse loves me anymore.” These bids are a way of saying, “I want to connect with you.” What “bids for emotional connection” have you used or seen in others the last couple of days?
- Read Luke 5:1-11. What do you notice about Jesus’ bid for connection here?.
- How would you describe the response of the fisherman? Explain.
- Jesus wants his disciples to bear fruit, but first, Jesus wants friendship. Do you think intimacy or friendship with Jesus is essential? Why or why not?
- Part of following Jesus is letting go – letting go of control, comfort, and even our rights. What does it mean to let go of those three things? What would it mean for you to let go of those?
- We also want to lean into a relationship with Jesus. Jesus is continually sending us “bids for emotional connection.” How can we respond to those bids for connection today and tomorrow?
The 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting begins on January 11. Have you decided to let go and lean into what Jesus is doing all around us? What steps will you take to be a part of it? It might help to revisit the leader’s guide with everyone for some helpful tips on engaging in this church-wide initiative.
You can also visit communitychristian.org/21days for more info.
Close the group in prayer.