Week 3 – Awaken to Your Purpose
Jan 17-23, 2021
“Lord, help us to be a blessing to the people and in the places where we have been sent.”
Do you prefer to plan your vacations or for them to be spontaneous? Why?
The mission of our church is helping people find their way back to God. That means we are all part of it, all the time. It might be challenging to think about our role in that mission. If we’re not sure what it looks like to be “on mission,” we might be hoping people find their way back to God rather than helping people find their way back to God. What is the difference between hoping and helping? Explain.
- Read Genesis 12:1-3, John 20:21, and Galatians 3:7-9. What do these passages have to say about God’s long plan for his people to be a blessing to others?
- Read Matthew 20:28. How did Jesus serve others? Why is that relevant to us?
- Just as Jesus sent out his disciples in John 20, we are sent out into our world today? That may seem intimidating or overwhelming. We might think, “I’m not prepared,” or “I have nothing to offer,” or maybe In what ways do you struggle with being “sent” out on the Jesus mission of helping people find their way back to God?
- Review the B.L.E.S.S. Practices; they represent a simple strategy for living our everyday lives on mission. How are the B.L.E.S.S. Practices different from trying to “convert” people?
- Which of these practices come naturally to you? Which is challenging?
- If you started living your life to bless others, what would change tomorrow?
Living the B.L.E.S.S. Practices is not about adding another “thing” to your calendar, but it’s a prayerful and generous posture toward the world that looks for opportunities to serve others and share the story of how Jesus is changing our lives. This week, let’s pray that God would show us how to bless the people in our lives.