Big Idea Series – B.C. Before Christmas
Week 1 – Micah: A Promise of Peace
Dec 1 – Dec 7, 2019
Message Big Idea
Through Jesus, we can now experience peace.
Peace is something we all wish for in our lives – yet sometimes peace feels far away. Jesus came to bring a radically new kind of peace into our lives. In what ways do you feel un-peaceful?
- Read Micah 5:1-5a, what stood out to you?
- Read Luke 2:4-7, in what ways was the Micah passage fulfilled in the Luke passage?
- Jesus came to bring peace to every aspect of us. There are four critical ways:
- UP – or peace between God and us,
- IN – or internal peace – a peace found within ourselves
- ACROSS – or peace communally inside the church
- OUT – or missional peace with the world . Which type of peace do you think is most needed in our world?
- Looking at the four types of peace, which do you need more of in your life?
- Read the quote from NT Wright and discuss how this could change your perspective this week: “…people who believe in the resurrection, in God making a whole new world in which everything will be set right, at last, are unstoppably motivated to work for that new world in the present. – N.T. Wright
- Conflict is inevitable; it’s how we handle it that will determine the future of our relationships. Some tips are to:
- Deal with Conflict Early – don’t let it fester
- Practice Restraint – be slow to become angry or resentful
- Prepare for a Long Journey – know that a great deal of conflict won’t be resolved all at once.
Which of these steps is the easiest for you? Which is the hardest? Which one do you need to practice right now?
This week think about one way every day you could bring peace to your surroundings, whether it’s with a kind word to a loved one, picking up trash, speaking up for someone, or taking steps to resolve a conflict – find something and become a peacemaker, not just a peacekeeper.