Big Idea Series – Breakthrough
Week 5 – Breakthrough in Faith
Nov 17 – Nov 23, 2019
Message Big Idea
The Spirit brings breakthrough when we courageously step forward in faith.
What is one thing that makes you afraid?
There is something different about followers of Jesus that empowers us to push back fear and uncertainty, and move forward in faith. Can you share a time when you pushed through fear?
- Read 2 Timothy 1:3-7. What is your first impression of the passage?
- Verse 7 says we did not receive a spirit of fear, but of power, love and self-discipline. How does that statement strike you? What might it mean to live with power, love, and self-discipline?
- Read Acts 21:10-13. What do you think about Paul’s boldness in this passage? If you were watching him, would you see it as admirable, reckless, inspiring or something else? Explain.
- 4. Read Philippians 3:4b-6. Paul had it made according to his tradition, but he was willing to trade his life to follow Jesus. In the same way, we are all trading our lives for something. What would that something be for you? How has that grown or changed over the years?
- Martin Luther King, Jr. said, “If you haven’t found something you are willing to die for, you aren’t fit to live.” What do you think of that statement?
- What would it look like for you to step through fear and into faith?
God is using us to breakthrough into the lives of kids, students, and people far from him. He has given us a spirit of power, love, and self, and self-discipline to reach people in our neighborhoods and workplaces, through new church plants, and by planting churches in prisons through Community Freedom. Please continue to pray and seek after God, so that we might be a people who step more boldly into our faith to help more and more people find their way back to God.