2020 Discussion Guide
October 18 – 24, 2020
God calls us to join together for worship and mission.
- What is the best way to inspire or motivate other people?
- Every week we gather to celebrate what God is doing in our lives and to be unified in our mission of helping people find their way back to God. This past Sunday was Celebration Generosity, where we gave our support to three teams who are committed to reaching those who are far from God, restoring God’s dream for the world, and reproducing the mission in others locally and globally. What value do you see in our whole Church getting behind these three teams (Philippines, New Thing, and Community Cares)?
The Church is God’s way of reaching people who are far from him and connecting them into a different kind of community. We are in a season where our country is very divided, even within the Church. Jesus calls us to bring people together in unity.
- Read John 17:20-23. How would you paraphrase what Jesus is saying here? What does it mean for the Church to be united?
This week we are asking our Church to pray for unity. The challenge will be for all of us to humble ourselves and ask God to work in us and through us. Let’s try some of that now.
- Read Acts 1:4-8. Jesus told his followers to “wait” for the Holy Spirit for days. Some think it was as many as ten days from the ascension of Jesus to the day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit was poured out. So we are going to wait in silence and ask for the Holy Spirit to “Come.” Have you ever sat in silence listening for God’s voice? What was your experience?
- Let’s spend two minutes in silence to be present with God.
- After two minutes of silence, ask the group to give God thanks by filling in the blank. “God, I thank you for _________.”
- Ask for God to help our Church be united. You can have the group say some simple words or a single sentence or pray silently.
- Now ask everyone to confess to God one way they have been divisive in the last two weeks. This can be audible or silent, as well.
- Ask God to reveal to you one way you can contribute to unity in the Church and the world.
- Finish the prayer and check in with everyone. What did everyone experience? How are you feeling?
This next week, we are asking our whole Church to pray for unity, that the Church around the world would be a community that brings people together. Encourage everyone to subscribe to the Bible Reading Plan and pray for unity for the next week. You can find the reading plan at communitychristian.org/bible.