Week 4 – Is Christianity too Narrow? | Feb 3 – Feb 9, 2019
Message Big Idea
God provided a way for everyone to find their way back to him. Most religions boil down to humanity trying to reach God, but Christianity is about God reaching humanity.
How did you leave home? Would you change anything if you could? Why or why not?
What do you think about the statistic that “nearly half of all US adults believe it doesn’t matter what religious faith you follow because they all teach the same lessons?”
- Watch the Curiosity Collective video titled “Is Christianity too narrow?” Was there any-thing in the video that connected with you? What was compelling or intriguing?
- In the video, Corey discusses the statement that “All religions are the same.” This statement is often an attempt to be humble and tolerant, but he goes on to claim it is arrogant and dis-respectful to every religion. Why would that be?
- Every religion is narrow and makes exclusive claims. What is the difference between being narrow and narrow-minded?
- What exclusive claims do you hold?
- Read Luke 15:11-32. If we understand the father in the story to represent God, What does this parable say about God’s character and nature?
- How might this parable influence the way we engage with people in our lives no matter how they live or think?
The parable of the prodigal son or the lost son is a story that gives us insight into what a loving Father God is to us. His forgiveness and grace is available to everyone, everywhere, regardless of their sins and their condition in the world. Are there people in your life that you know need help finding their way back to God? As a small group, commit to purposefully praying for those individuals this week. Next week, share any ways in which you saw them move closer to God.