Chew | May 13 – May 19, 2018
Series Big Idea
The Bible is God’s Word given to us for daily nourishment. In this series, we will challenge one another to grow in our relationship with God by feeding ourselves with His Word every day.
Message Big Idea
We will grow and prosper when we follow a simple method for meditating on God’s Word.
Ice Breaker & Opening Thought
- If you had to eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Today we are talking about meditating on God’s word. Meditating is the “chewing” portion of feeding ourselves with his Word. When was the last time, or have you ever had a time where you savored God’s word? What was that like?
- Read Joshua 1:7-8. What are your initial thoughts?
- If you were explaining that passage to someone else, how would you summarize its meaning? How is it applicable to our everyday life?
- Last week we challenged each other to start reading the Bible. How did that go this week?
- Part of meditating on God’s word is listening to what God wants to teach us or reveal to us. How can we prepare our hearts to listen when reading our Bible? Are there circumstances that make this hard for you?
- Reviewing the four meditating methods; Reflection Questions, use the Read Scripture App, Using a Commentary, and Lectio Divina. Which do you feel most comfortable with? Which do you think you would use consistently? (See Leader’s Guide)
- Re-read Joshua 1:7-8 and use one of the four meditating methods together. After reading and reflecting on it using this method, what was different for you? After meditating on this passage, what will you leave with today?
Abraham Lincoln once said – “I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man. All the good from The Savior of the world is communicated to us through this Book.” Let us be encouraged that we can nourish ourselves daily with the most satisfying of spiritual meals. Let’s chew our food thoroughly this next week! Pick a method and we’ll discuss how it may have changed scripture reading for you.