Wired for Generosity | Mar 4 – Mar 10, 2018
Series Big Idea
We are genetically wired to be generous.
Message Big Idea
We’re wired for generosity because we’re made in the image of a generous God.
1 John 4:7-8 & Psalm 24:1-2
Have you ever researched your family tree or taken one of those genetics tests? If so, what did it reveal? If not, would you?
We are made in the image of a generous God, a God who created a world of such beauty that it can sometimes take our breath away. This generous God gave us similar characteristics – so that we are also wired for generosity. How would ‘owning’ that characteristic change how you see yourself and others? Would it?
- Read 1 John 4:7-8, what stood out to you? What implications could that have for your life?
- Read Psalm 24:1-2. One of the ways we see God’s generosity is through the gift of creation, what does that say about God’s nature?
- Our God is a generous God, whose characteristics include faithfulness, love, and generosity – do you know other stories from the Bible that center on these characteristics of God?
- Looking at our world and the gifts given there, what thoughts come up around how we are to be generous as God is generous? Have you ever thought of yourself in terms of being genetically disposed to generosity?
- Generosity is the impulse of love. Have you ever been deeply moved by someone else’s gift? Can you share that story – what was it and what was it like?
- When you think about how each of us is made in God’s image, what are some generosity practices you could introduce into your life?
Think of two ways this week you could be generous as God is generous. What would it look like? A meal for a friend? A hand-written card? Giving to Community 4:12 or saving up for an extra-special offering on March 18th for the end of ONE? Could you get creative about it? Brainstorm as a group and share your ideas with each other. You might also consider finding a way to do it together as a group.