The Motive | Sept 3 – Sept 9, 2017
Series Big Idea
We have been entrusted with the mission of helping people find their way back to God.
Message Big Idea
To carry out our mission, we have to own the mission.
Scripture Matthew 13:44-46 (NIV)
44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. 45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.
Scripture 2 Corinthians 5:11-15 (NIV)
11 Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade others. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience. 12 We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than in what is in the heart. 13 If we are “out of our mind,” as some say, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. 14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
Ice Breaker & Opening Thoughts
- Share the last time you told someone “you have got to see….” or “you have got to try….”
- If you were able to get front row tickets to your favorite event, how much would you be willing to pay for them? The event could be a concert, sporting event, Broadway show, or whatever you love.
- Read Matthew 13:44-46, what could ‘the Kingdom of heaven’ mean to you?
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:14 where it says ‘Christ’s love compels us.’ Have you seen Christ’s love compel people? Where and who?
- Have you ever been compelled by Christ’s love? Explain.
- Share the names of 5 people you want to experience Christ’s love. Why them?
- What fears do you have about inviting these five people to church?
- What typically holds people back from sharing Christ’s love?
- How can you be intentional about inviting this list to Show Up Sunday on September 17th?
End your small group time praying for the people that the group has shared. Ask God to supernaturally give small group members the opportunity to invite them to church for Show Up Sunday. Pray and check in with each other throughout the week for encouragement. Follow up during your next small group time.