The Method | Sept 10 – Sept 16, 2017
Series Big Idea
We have been entrusted with the mission of helping people find their way back to God.
Message Big Idea
To carry out our mission, we have to live the mission.
Scripture James 1:22-27
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do. 26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
What’s the best advice you didn’t take?
We so often know what we should do, and yet don’t. We have great intentions, from starting that book, writing that note, having coffee with that person, starting that work out regimen, etc. The problem is getting up and doing it. What are you having a hard time starting (or continuing)?
- Read James 1:22-27. What stood out to you? What struck you?
- Have there been times you’ve known what you should do with your faith but haven’t done it (v. 23-24)?
- What are some ways James says we must act out our faith?
The message looked at three major excuses that come up around inviting our friends, co-workers, and family to church. Those three were: “I don’t know what to say.”, “I’m afraid I’ll be rejected.” and “It’s not my job.”
- Of these three excuses, which one most often holds you back?
- What are other excuses that impede us?
- Have you ever asked someone to church and been rejected? What was it like?
- Have you ever asked someone to church, and they’ve come with you? What was that like?
Take out those five names and make a plan to ask each of them this week to Show Up Sunday. Spend some time praying for them and asking God for help. Think about which of the excuses hold you back for each person and write a prayer to help you stay focused on the goal: helping people find their way back to God.