Mountain Moving Prayer | Feb 4 – Feb 10, 2018
Series Big Idea
Through the posture and practice of prayer, we can experience God’s mountain-moving power.
Message Big Idea
Prayer has the power to move mountains.
If you could choose only one vacation destination, what would it be and why?
Prayer can be something filled with uncertainties and mysteries for us. Maybe we’re new to considering prayer, or we’re tired of trying it, or maybe we’re cautiously optimistic about it. Wherever your experience is with prayer, what are some reasons why people don’t pray?
- Read Matthew 17:14-20, what stood out to you?
- Read 1 John 5:14-15, what struck you about this passage?
- Compare these two passages, what could God be telling you about prayer and how we approach it?
- Often we approach prayer as something that will change God’s mind or convince God to take our side, but the reality is that most of the time, prayer should be more about changing us. Otherwise, this can lead us to view our relationship with God to be more transactional rather than relational. Have you ever had an experience where praying changed you?
- Have you ever prayed for something that you are glad now didn’t come to pass? If you’re comfortable, share what it was with the group.
- Read the following quote on prayer by Eugene Peterson. What do you think he is saying? Have you ever experienced this? Explain.
“Only in prayer can we escape the distortions and constrictions of the self and enter the truth and expansiveness of God.” –Eugene Peterson
- What kind of mountain are you facing right now?
Write down your mountain and commit to praying about it for the next twenty-one days. If you are able, consider joining COMMUNITY for 21 days of prayer and fasting. (communitychristian.org/21days) End your group by praying for each other’s mountains.