Hearing From God | Feb 11 – Feb 17, 2018
Series Big Idea
Through the posture and practice of prayer, we can experience God’s mountain-moving power.
Message Big Idea
Prayer is a posture that enables us to hear from God.
Ice Breaker and Opening Thought
- Share a time you misheard a person or the lyrics to a song.
- Today we’re talking about hearing from God. If we are to hear from God, that means God is speaking, and we must learn to listen to him. Have you ever tried listening for God? What was that like?
- Read 1 Samuel 3:1-14. What details about the story stand out to you? Why?
- In what ways do you see yourself in the story?
- Many Christ-followers would say they’ve heard God speak through New Thoughts, Prompts to Act, and Unprompted Confirmations. Have you had any experience with these common experiences? How would you describe it?
- The Contemplative Christian tradition emphasizes four stages in our growth with God in prayer. Talking at God, Talking to God, Listening to God, and Being with God. As you consider these four stages, how would you describe your own experience of prayer?
- Part of hearing from God is our posture towards God. How would you describe your posture toward God?
- Samuel said, “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.” What can you do during this series to have a similar posture?
Dallas Willard wrote, “While it’s important to hear from God, that shouldn’t be your ultimate goal. Instead, make your main goal to become a spiritually mature person in a close relationship with God. That’s the only way you’ll clearly and correctly hear what God has to say to you.” Let’s find some time this week to draw close to God, and let’s talk about it next week.