Everlasting Father | Dec 31, 2017 – Jan 6, 2018
Series Big Idea
The one whose Name is above all names wants to be our Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.
Message Big Idea
As Everlasting Father, Jesus invites us to live with an eternal purpose.
Scripture – 1 John 1:1-4
Ice Breaker and Opening Thought
- What was your favorite gift you received this Christmas?
- One of the titles of Jesus from Isaiah 9:6 is Everlasting Father. This theme continues in the New Testament as Jesus is the one who makes it possible for us to participate in eternal life now. How does the phrase “participating in eternal life now” strike you?
- Read 1 John 1:1 – 4 in several translations. What words and phrases jump out to you?
- What seems to be the main idea in this paragraph? How would you put it in your own words?
- How would you describe your own experience of sharing in the life of Jesus among a community of Christ-followers?
- Part of participating in eternal life is to experience eternal joy, love, and purpose. Which of these has been more prevalent for you? Explain.
- It is common for us to let the busyness of our lives crowd out what is most important. What is one way you could fix your eyes on what is eternal this coming year?
As a group take a few minutes to be silent and ask the Holy Spirit to give you a word that can be a theme for you in 2018. Afterwards, share that word with one another, and give a one or two sentence explanation for what that means to you. Close the group in prayer and commit to fixing our eyes on the greater mission and purpose of living fully for the God who loves us with a greater love than we could ever understand or deserve.