Temptation | June 24 – 30, 2018
Series Big Idea
James, the half-brother of Jesus, shares wisdom on how to overcome challenges that can trip us up as Christ-followers and keep us from growing to maturity.
Message Big Idea
When it comes to temptation, it’s not an “if” but a “when,” and the key to maturity is how we respond.
Growing up did you have a sibling or close friend who was your partner in crime? If you did, share a favorite story.
Growing up requires a lot of maturing physically, emotionally, and even spiritually. How many of us have given the same thought to growing spiritually mature and complete in the same way that we obsessed over becoming physically mature? What do you think of the concept of becoming spiritually mature?
- Read James 1:13-18, what stood out to you?
- Reread verses 13-15, how have you seen this happen?
- Part of our journey is learning self-control, which includes recognizing our limits because we can’t simply “try harder” by relying on our own strength. What has given you strength to resist temptation?
- Read the quote below from C.S. Lewis. What do you think about the ideas here?
“We never find out the strength of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it: and Christ, because He was the only man who never yielded to temptation, is also the only man who knows to the full what temptation means — the only complete realist.” – C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
- What temptations have you faced in your life? How have you faced them?
- Behavioral scientists tell us that self-control is a finite resource, and when we are low on self-control is when we are in the most danger of giving into temptation. What are some of your warning signs that your self-control is low? How can we help you?
Open up a group prayer time by having everyone share something they need help resisting (be as vague as you need to be). Then spend time in prayer with your group praying for everyone’s specific temptations. Pick one person to check in on their temptation journey – be a source of encouragement for them! Also, commit this week to sign up and read the Big Idea Bible Readng Plan for our O Brother series.