Words | July 8 – 14, 2018
Series Big Idea
James, the half-brother of Jesus, shares wisdom on how to overcome challenges that can trip us up as Christ-followers and keep us from growing to maturity.
Message Big Idea
Our words are powerful and reflect the depth of our maturity
What is the most difficult thing you have ever tried to steer? What made it so difficult?
The words we choose, either healing or destructive are a reflection of what’s going on in our hearts.
- Read James 3:3-8. What do you notice about this passage?
- Which of the examples of the power of words spoke to you the most? Why?
- Read Luke 6:43-45. Explain this passage in your own words. How have you seen this truth play out in your life?
- The power of words is that they are wide-ranging. They can damage or build up from a distance. Share a time when you experienced the power of words, either in a positive way, where someone’s words have encouraged you, or negative way, where someone’s words have cut you down. In the moment do you think the speaker of the words had any idea how powerful and long-lasting their words would be?
- Knowing how powerful words are personally, why do you think it’s so difficult to control our tongues? Is there a person, a situation, or emotional state (fear, anger, sadness) in which you find it more difficult to control your tongue? Why do you think it’s more difficult in that situation?
- Who in your life do you think would benefit from healing, encouraging words? What about yourself? What healing encouraging words do you need to speak to yourself?
Reflect on Luke 6:43-45 over the next week. What do your words say about what is stored up in your heart? If there is bitterness, anger, or hurt ask God to help you. Consider sharing with a trusted friend or if you need more guidance, seek professional advice.