Pride | July 15 – 21, 2018
Series Big Idea
James, the half-brother of Jesus, shares wisdom on how to overcome challenges that can trip us up as Christ-followers and keep us from growing to maturity.
Message Big Idea
Maturity means humbling ourselves and drawing near to the God who draws near to us.
Share the story of who your favorite sports team is and why? If you don’t follow a sports team, what is a favorite hobby of yours and why?
What are your thoughts on the book of James so far? Knowing that James, the half-brother of Jesus was a skeptic until after Jesus’s resurrection, how do you think that might have influenced his words and teaching in this letter?
- Read James 4:1-10 in 2-3 different versions. What’s your first impression of this passage?
- James quotes Proverbs 3:34 in verse 6. How would you state the proverb in your own words?
- What do verses 7-10 say is the solution to the disorder of fulfillment?
- Read the quote from Augustine: “Pride is pregnant with all possible sin.” How have you seen this truth played out in real life? Either through someone you know personally or in current events.
- What are some ways you have witnessed people choosing worldly fulfillment over Godly fulfillment?
- How are you vulnerable to pursuing worldly fulfillment over Godly fulfillment?
Open up your prayer time with people sharing how they are vulnerable to pursuing worldly fulfillment. Close your small group by getting on your knees in a physical posture of submission and praying for each other.