Message Series – Pray Like This
Week 3 – Give Us This Day
May 24-30, 2020
Message Big Idea
Petition is coming to the Father to ask for our own needs and wants.
What restaurant do you miss dining in the most?
Prayer and how to do it or when to do it or with whom to do it can be difficult questions. Over the last few weeks, we’ve been talking about prayer, specifically about Jesus’ example of prayer. Prayer can be a lot of different things, all at once, which is great but also confusing sometimes. What are some different ways you either already have or could use prayer in your life?
- Read Matthew 6:9-13, what stood out to you? What could ‘daily bread’ mean to your life?
- What does it say about God that God wants us to petition? Why would God create this as one of the chief ways God gets done what God wants to do?
- Read Luke 8:45-48, what stood out to you about the woman?
- Unlike intercession, which is praying for God’s kingdom to be realized here on earth in the lives of other people and situations in our world; petition is about bringing our own needs and wants to the Father. How comfortable do you feel bringing up your needs in prayer? If comfortable, do you do it regularly?
- One reason asking can be hard is because asking implies dependence, something most western Americans have a hard time admitting. How comfortable are you with asking for help from the people in your life?
- Read the C.S. Lewis quote below and then discuss how it applies to your life and habits this week:
“Relying on God has to begin all over again every day as if nothing had yet been done.” -C.S. Lewis
- Prayer isn’t an easy practice because it involves a relationship, which is always hard. We often interpret God’s silence as God’s absence, where do you need to replace that thought with the prayer, “Where, God, can I find you in this situation?”
This week let’s practice petitioning God for our daily needs, knowing that doing so nurtures relationships and increases our dependency on God. When we begin to trust God, even when our prayers seem unanswered, we’re taking steps toward strengthening our relationship with God. Make a list of daily needs that you often don’t want to ask to be fulfilled and practice praying for those needs this week.