Message Series – Pray Like This
Week 6 – Deliver Us From Evil
Jun 14 – 20, 2020
Spiritual warfare is walking with the Father in the victory of Jesus.
Icebreaker and Opening Thought
- If you could have one superpower, which would you choose?
- The word evil is used about 600 times in the Bible, give or take a few based on the version. What thoughts or images come to mind when you consider the word evil?
- Read 1 Peter 5:8. Peter is describing the nature of the evil one and warning us to keep aware. How do you sense and caution against evil influences?
- Read Matthew 6:13. What do you think this part of the prayer is actually asking of God?
- Read 1 Corinthians 10:4. How are the weapons God provides different from the world’s?
- Read Ephesians 1:18-21 and 2:6. What do these passages offer us and tell us about ourselves in relationship with God?
- In his book, “The Screwtape Letters”, C.S. Lewis writes: “There are two equal but opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them.” Which of these extremes do you find yourself leaning toward? How do we find balance between the two extremes?
- Spend time looking at the Stronghold chart. What strongholds have gotten a foothold in your life? You may want to split up into small groups. Encourage each other by reading the passages associated with each stronghold and pray for one another.
- When we let the enemy have a stronghold and don’t use the weapons we have to demolish them, it wreaks havoc on our lives. It steals our joy and peace. Think about your own life. What are the lies you’re up against – the strongholds in your own world?