Message Series – Pray Like This
Week 7 – Yours is the Kingdom
Jun 21 – 27, 2020
Surrender is coming to the Father to submit ourselves to his kingdom, power, and glory.
Icebreaker and Opening Thought
- What is something you have made or built that makes you proud? Why?
- Everything in our world has a shelf life; nothing lasts forever. That is true of our accomplishments, careers, and our very lives. The same is true for kingdoms and governments. Only God’s Kingdom lasts forever, and we must learn to give our small empires over to God’s Kingdom and purpose. What do you think about the idea that we have an “empire” that needs to be given to God?
- Read Matthew 6:9-13. Some Bibles have an additional statement at the end of verse 13 that reads, “for the kingdom and the power and the glory are yours forever. Amen.” What difference does it make for that line to be present in the prayer?
- The additional line in Matthew 6:13 is taken from 1 Chronicles and was used by early Christians as a closing line in the prayer. Read 1 Chronicles 29:1-13. What stands out to you in this passage?
- David gave generously to God’s Kingdom, which prefigures Jesus’ giving himself on the cross to establish the Kingdom of God. What does this say about what God and for each of us?
- Read the statement from Pete Greig. What are your empires, power bases, and successes?
“To pray the closing lines of the Lord’s Prayer is to give ‘the kingdom, the power, and the glory’ back to God. It’s to give him our little empires (family, ministry, career) and say, ‘Yours, Lord, is the Kingdom.’ It’s to give him the power bases we’ve built and say, ‘Yours, Lord, is the power.’ It’s to give him our credibility, our trophies of success, and say, “Yours, Lord, is the glory forever and right now.’” – Pete Greig, How to Pray: A Simple Guide for Normal People
- What could it mean to surrender those empires, power bases, and successes to God?
- What challenges do you have in surrendering your full self to God? What practices will help you practice surrender?
What will you do this week to surrender to God? How might you think differently about your life? What action can you take right now?