Radical Connecting | Jan 21 – Jan 27, 2018
Series Big Idea
Jesus came to usher in a radical upside-down way of living.
Message Big Idea
Jesus ushered in a radical way of living where everyone belongs.
Do you like hosting or attending parties better? Why?
God’s invitation isn’t always for the people we think it’s for, the spiritually mature, the generous, or the fun to be around. No, God is setting a feast out for anyone and everyone, even (or especially) those who aren’t normally invited. Have there been times when you felt excluded?
- Read Luke 14:1-11, what stood out to you?
- Read Luke 14:12-24, what surprised you in this passage?
- Based on these two readings, in what ways have you been following the real Jesus? And in what ways have you been following a Jesus of your own making?
- Read the quote below from NT Wright. To what degree has this been your experience in our church or your small group?
“The early Christians did their best to live as an extended family, caring for each other in the way in which (in that world) extended families did. They called each other ‘brother’ and ‘sister’ and really meant it. They lived and prayed and thought like that: children of the same father, following the same older brother, sharing goods and resources where need arose. When they talked about ‘love,’ that’s the main thing they meant: living as a single family, a mutually supporting community. The church must never forget that calling.” –N.T. Wright
- As NT Wright points out, the church has a calling to live together and care for each other. Research has shown that inclusion into a group requires three elements: identification, appreciation, and dependence in relationships. This means identifying with each other’s struggles and triumphs, learning to affirm each other verbally, and relying on one another.Which of these elements comes easiest for you? Which is the hardest? Explain.
- The vision of Jesus’ parable is that his followers would be an inclusive community. How could we practice that this year?
Spend time as a small group talking about constructive and practical ways you can begin to incorporate this radical upside-down life this week. Pray for each other in pairs or smaller groups.