Recalibrate | Aug 12 – Aug 18, 2018
Series Big Idea
Worship recalibrates our hearts to God.
Message Big Idea
Through worship we receive Jesus and his truth for our lives.
Who is the hardest person you know to buy a present for? What is it that makes them so hard?
Receiving gifts or help isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it can be uncomfortable because we aren’t sure how to react or because we don’t think we need to receive anything. Receiving can put us in a vulnerable position because it admits need and need is scary – even from God. So when we think about receiving something from God, what are some things we can receive?
- Read John 14:26, what stood out to you?
- Read 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 and then Luke 22:14-20, how do the scriptures tie in together to give a fuller picture of communion?
- How does the John verse change our assumptions around what is happening in communion, the receiving that can be found there?
- When we think about the ways we can be distracted in worship, which one are you most prone to?
– a hurried posture
– an angry posture
– a resistant posture
– a passive posture
- Have you ever received something from God during a worship service? If so, what was it? How and when did you receive it?
- What has been your experience with communion? If you’ve been taking it for a while, has it ever become stale or commonplace? If so, what was that like? If not, why not?
- Communion invites us to receive so much but it can specifically give us grace, belonging, and hope. Which one do you need the most right now?
Spend some time with your group taking prayer requests about what is our most common distracting posture and what we most feel like we need to receive from God. Break into pairs and pray for each other. Take that awareness of our need into the next week.