Big Idea Series – Relationship Goals
Week 1 – Connection Coals
April 28 – May 4, 2019
Message Big Idea
The only on-ramp to connection in relationships is vulnerability.
Icebreaker & Opening Thought
- If a movie was made of your life, what actor would you choose to play you?
- When you hear the word vulnerability, what comes to mind?
Bible Video and Discussion
- Watch the Brene Brown video that is within the message from this weekend. (LINK) What resonated with you? Explain.
- Read Galatians 6:2 and James 5:16. What are these verses saying about vulnerability within the Christian Community?
- Why would confessing our sins to one another bring healing?
A recent Cigna Healthcare found that 46% of Americans report sometimes or always feeling alone. This number has doubled in the last 50 years. 43% say they sometimes or always feel like their relationships are not meaningful. 20% say they rarely or never feel close to people. 47% say they rarely or never have meaningful in-person interactions with others. 13% say zero people know them well.
- Are these results surprising to you? Do you recognize yourself in any of those statistics?
- Vulnerability is the only on-ramp to a deeper connection to others, so we are all invited to take the vulnerability challenge. Discuss the four options below. Which could you try during this series?• Answer honestly when people ask how you are doing.
• Admit a weakness.
• Give a compliment to another person.
• Speak up about a hurt.
Encourage each other to be vulnerable during this series, especially since small groups are intended to be a safe environment to share the real hurts and challenges of life. Meaningful relationships always involve risk, and this will be a great series to take a few. Close in prayer.