Big Idea Series – Relationship Goals
Week 3 – Communication Coals
May 12 – 18, 2019
Message Big Idea
Because we are heard by God, we can grow as a listener.
Icebreaker and Opening Thought
- Play a round or two of the game telephone. Use a phrase that has at least 4-5 words, whisper it in your neighbor’s ear and tell them to pass it on. When it comes back to the original person, how much has it changed?
- Good communication is a vital part of any healthy relationship, but communicating well takes hard work. How do you generally determine who speaks and who listens in most of your relationships? What is the lasting impact of poor communication in relationships?
- Read Luke 18:35-43. What does the story of the blind beggar demonstrate Jesus’ character?
- Besides the miracle of sight, what else did the interaction with Jesus give this man?
- Why do you think the crowd wanted to silence the beggar?
- What are the characteristics of effective communication? What about listening? Is it possible to be both – why or why not?
- What barriers to listening have you experienced in your relationships?
- Recall a time in a relationship which you were unheard or when you didn’t listen to someone else. What happened because of it?
- When you listen and know another person, they feel loved. How can you practice this equation with the people around you? Who needs you to listen and know them
Author of the book “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” Stephen R. Covey says, “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” This week, focus on listening to those around you with the intent to make them feel heard and known and therefore, loved just as we are loved by God.