Giving | Oct 1 – 7, 2017
Series Big Idea
Jesus’ life and teaching can help us simplify our lives and experience a clutter-free soul.
Message Big Idea
We can be freed from the insatiable desire for “more” by being generous.
Treasures in Heaven- Matthew 6:19-21
19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
2 Corinthians 9:13
13 You have shown yourselves to be worthy by what you have given. So other people will praise God because you obey him. That proves that you really believe the good news about Christ. They will also praise God because you share freely with them and with everyone else.
- What is the most significant, meaningful, or expensive gift you have ever received?
- What’s the most thoughtful gift you have ever given someone?
- Take some time read Matthew 6:19-21 in a few different versions (NIV, MSG, AMP, or KJV). What stood out or struck you in a new way?
- What does verse 21 mean to you? Have you experienced this to be true? If so, how. If not, why do you think that is?
For the past ten years COMMUNITY has designated one weekend to give away our entire offering in support of initiatives that will help us accomplish the mission both locally and globally. We call it Celebration Generosity.
- What are your thoughts and feelings about the tradition of Celebration Generosity?
- Do you have any questions about Celebration Generosity?
- We support four teams: Community 4:12, Compassion, NewThing, and Philippines Frontline Ministries. What team do you feel most drawn to? (Use the Celebration Generosity booklet or Click here to learn more)
- What are some ways you could engage with that team in the future?
What is one way you could commit to being more generous towards others? Here are a few opportunities to get involved with the four teams:
- Team Community 4:12 – Volunteer at a Giftmart or at one of the many opportunities they have monthly and weekly.
Team Compassion – Sponsor a child through one of our Compassion Churches.
Team NewThing – Attend The Exponential Regional Conference at the Naperville Yellow Box on Nov 7- 8.
Team Philippines – Sign up for a mission trip in July 2018.