The Book of Philippians
Chapter 2 | Follow Jesus’ Example
August 7, 2022
We adopt the mindset of Christ when we follow his example of sacrificial love.
- How have you been able to B.L.E.S.S. someone recently?
- What famous person, living or dead, would you like to meet? Why?
- Read Philippians 2:1-18. What do you notice about this passage?
- Paul’s poem portrays Jesus as one who practices humility (vs. 3). What phrases does Paul use to highlight Jesus’ humility? How are these examples of humility?
- Reread verse 5. Paul says to have the same mindset as Jesus towards others. How would you put that mindset into your own words?r?
- Read the statement by C.S. Lewis on humility below. What do you think of it? How is it similar or different from Paul’s portrayal of humility in chapter 2?
“Do not imagine that if you meet a really humble man, he will be what most people call ‘humble’ nowadays: he will not be a sort of greasy, smarmy person, who is always telling you that, of course, he is nobody. Probably all you will think about him is that he seemed a cheerful, intelligent chap who took a real interest in what you said to him. If you do dislike him, it will be because you feel a little envious of anyone who seems to enjoy life so easily.”
- What makes it hard to think about others more? Or, what makes it hard for you to practice humility?
- Reread verses 14-16. How would practicing Paul’s teaching on humility outlined in the first part of the chapter help us “shine like stars?”