This is the Way
Week 1 – The Way
Oct 25 – 31, 2020
Finding YOUR WAY back to God means giving allegiance to Jesus as THE WAY back to God.
Was politics something that you discussed as a family growing up? If so, when and where? If not, why not?
It feels like politics has become the main focus of our entire country over the last month. There is so much uncertainty in the air around political parties and their values—sometimes, the distraction can be debilitating. As Christians, we know that our government isn’t the answer to life’s questions or problems, but we also want to make a good decision when voting. How do you reconcile those things?
- Read John 14:5-7. What stood out to you?
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:1-11. After reading about the Gospel, what does Paul say is the Gospel?
- How has the Gospel been presented to you? What were the main points that were emphasized?
- Read the quote below and discuss the ways this has been true or not true in your faith journey:
“The plot in the abbreviated gospel is self-centered: I have a problem (sin), and I am currently on the road to perdition, but Jesus died for my sins, so now I have the opportunity to change roads–to go to heaven.” -Matthew W. Bates, “Salvation by Allegiance Alone”
- A more complete Gospel starts with an announcement about Jesus and what he has accomplished. Jesus calls us to place our faith in him, and faith can be understood as allegiance to him. What do you think about understanding faith as allegiance?
- What practical difference does “giving allegiance to Jesus” make in how we think and relate to other governing bodies and groups?
How will you respond to the Gospel? What is one thing you can do this week to remind yourself that our King is Jesus and that he is always on the throne? Let’s also subscribe to the Turn the Page Bible Experience and make a commitment to read Scripture every day this week.