The Jesus I Never Knew
Week 2 – Are You Still In The Grave?
Apr 4 – Apr 10, 2021
Jesus’ resurrection restores our lost humanity.
Ice Breaker & Opening Thought
- Who is the first person you tell when something good happens to you? The second? Why?
- The resurrection is about Jesus putting our humanity back together and the promise that God will put the world back together. There’s so much brokenness in our world, even though we have managed to make life work. What are some ways our world is broken that are on your mind right now?
- Read Romans 5:15-19 in multiple translations. Make sure to read it in the Message translation. What ideas, phrases, and words stand out to you?
- In what way does this passage hold out hope for us and the world?
- Read Hebrews 2:14-15. How would you put this passage in your own words?
- Read John 20:11-18. Jesus’ resurrection is the start of God’s new creation – the beginning of God putting the whole world right. In the middle of that big story, we read this tender moment between Jesus and Mary. Mary doesn’t recognize Jesus through her tears, but she recognizes his voice as he calls her name. What emotions or thoughts make it hard for you to see Jesus? Anger, fear, sadness?
- Jesus wants to do something new in all of us. He wants to lead us out of the grave and into the garden. If Jesus was sitting in our group right now and he called your name, what do you think he’d challenge you to do?
- In what ways would Jesus challenge our group?
Since Jesus is with us right now, let’s spend some time praying for each other. Pray for the ways Jesus is challenging each person or the group as a whole. Don’t be afraid to be vulnerable. Jesus wants to restore our hope and our humanity.