From Striving to Surrendered | Nov 4 – Nov 10, 2018
Message Big Idea
“Turn the Page” by surrendering control of your life to God.
Ice Breaker & Opening Thought
- The zombie apocalypse is coming, who are three people you want on your team?
- As we talk about surrendering control of our life to God, what do you think it means to have control of your life
- Read Genesis 32:22-32. A lot is happening in this passage. What did you notice?
- The text says God (in the form of a man) could not overpower Jacob. Jacob would have been 97 at this point in his life, so that statement probably shouldn’t be taken to mean something physical, but spiritual. What do you think it might mean that God doesn’t overcome Jacob?
- God picks the fight with Jacob and blesses him even though Jacob won’t give in. God changes Jacob’s name to Israel which means God fights. In what way does God “fight?” How might God fight for us or even wrestle with us?
- In what ways can you relate to Jacob’s story? Has there ever been a time when you felt challenged by God, but weren’t open to change? Explain.
- Jacob spent most of his life deceiving and striving to get what he wanted rather than trusting that God would be with him. Similarly, God wants us to put our trust in him. In what ways can you surrender more of your life to God
“Sin is not simply the breaking of a law; it is the missing of an opportunity.” –N.T. Wright
In Hebrews 13:5 we read, “Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.” Jacob heard that same promise from God – that God would fight for him (Gen 31:3). We have that same promise today. Let’s spend a few moments in prayer surrendering ourselves to God so that we might walk more confidently in him.
Sign up for the Turn the Page Bible Experience. Visit communitychristian.org/bible to sign up and catch up on previous readings and podcasts.