From Avoided to Anointed | Nov 18 – Nov 24, 2018
Message Big Idea
Turn the Page” by seeing people the way God sees people.
Ice Breaker & Opening Thought
- What movie or book have you watched or read that was better than you expected?
- Ephesians 2:10 says we are God’s masterpiece. When you hear the word masterpiece, what comes into your mind?
- Read 1 Samuel 16:1-13. What do you notice?
- Look specifically at verse 16:7. How would you summarize this statement for today’s culture?
- Where else in the Old Testament does God choose to work through the person or people you wouldn’t expect
- Brennan Manning, Christian author and speaker, once wrote: “To affirm a person is to see the good in them that they cannot see in themselves and to repeat it in spite of appearances to the contrary.” Have you ever had anyone affirm you in this way? Have you practiced this kind of affirmation of others? Share with the group what this was like.
- Part of seeing people the way God sees them is to see yourself the way God sees you. How do you think God sees you? What would it mean for you to make this a reality of your life?
- In what ways are you tempted to dismiss others because of a superficial reason?
God sees himself in you. He sees your value, potential, and the significance you bring to the world. This week let’s pray that each of us would allow that message to sink in and that we might see others in the same way. Whenever you are tempted to dismiss yourself or someone else this week, remember these words, “God sees himself in me,” or “God sees himself in them.”
Sign up for the Turn the Page Bible Experience. Visit communitychristian.org/bible to sign up and catch up on previous readings and podcasts.