Week 1 | How can we help our kids find their purpose?
May 14, 2023
Parents are strategically placed to help their children start a journey towards the YOU+ life Jesus came to bring.
Mark 10:13-16, Deuteronomy 6:4-9
- How have you been able to B.L.E.S.S. others recently?
- What was your favorite television show when you were a kid?
- There are many articles and books that argue that every child needs five significant adults in their life to help them grow up wise and strong. We could call that the 5:1 ratio – five adults for every one child. What kind of impact would five caring adults make in the life of one child or teen? What kind of impact did a non-parent adult have on you?
- Read Mark 10:13-16. Children were loved in the ancient world, but they were considered free persons until they became adults. They had low social status, and to call someone a child was an insult. Yet Jesus elevated children and highlighted the quality of humble dependence on God. Why do you think this was important to Jesus?
- Read Deuteronomy 6:1-9. The vision for the Israelite community was to immerse themselves in the commands and values of the Lord and impress them on their children so they might prosper in the land. As Christ followers, what values are essential to hand down to children?
- What children do you have in your life that you care for currently? Would you consider yourself one of five adults in one child’s life (outside your home)?
- Where can you have a positive impact on the life of a student or child?
- Justin Whitmel Earley, in his book “Habits of the Home”, writes, “We become our habits, and our kids become us. Which means who our children are becoming is tightly connected to who we are becoming—personally and communally.” Who are you becoming, and what kind of impact could you have on children?
- If you are a parent, how equipped are you to help your children live the YOU+ life? What do you need to feel more confident about it?