Week 5 | Transform Your Heart
Feb 5, 2023
Disciples of Jesus engage in Scripture, God’s Word, for the purpose of heart transformation.
Matthew 5:17-20, Matthew 22:37-40, 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- How have you been able to B.L.E.S.S. someone recently?
- How dependent are you on GPS to navigate your way around regularly?
- Read Matthew 5:17-20. Jesus uses the word righteousness. The word righteous can mean a couple of different things depending on the context. The first meaning is relational. It refers to someone in a “right relationship with God.” The second meaning describes behavior. It refers to behavior that conforms to the will of God. As followers of Jesus, we have been declared righteous and are called to conform to the will of God. We are righteous and are growing in righteousness. How do these definitions strike you? How would you describe these ideas of righteousness in your own words?
- Jesus said to his disciples that their righteousness must surpass that of the religious experts and teachers. What a shocking thing to say. He was talking about their behavior. The mistake they were making, and we all tend to make, is to focus on external conformity to a list of commands but not have your heart in the wrong place. Why can it be dangerous for some to do the right thing for the wrong reasons?
- Author Skye Jethani said, “[God] doesn’t merely desire people who appear good or even those who do good; He wants people who are good.” What do you think about what Skye says here?
- Read 2 Timothy 3:16. The writer says that the Scripture “trains us in righteousness.” How have you experienced this kind of training?
- In Matthew 22:37-40, Jesus says the greatest command is love. How can reading Scripture train us in love?
- How can we engage in Scripture more as a group and as individuals? How could we commit to making realistic goals around this priority?
- Many people who have had a YOU+ Conversation have set goals around reading Scripture. Have you had an opportunity to have a YOU+ Conversation? What next step does each of us need to take? If not, set one up at youplus.info!