Week 7 | Develop Deep Disciplines
Feb 19, 2023
Disciples of Jesus pursue a growing connection with God through spiritual practices.
- How have you been able to B.L.E.S.S. others recently?
- What photo do you have on your phone or desktop computer? Why did you choose that picture?
- Read Matthew 6:1-18. Fredrick Dale Bruner translates Matthew 6:1 in this way, “Watch out that you do not do your righteousness in front of other people in order to be theater to them.” What does it mean to be theater to others?
- Jesus says that when we do our acts of righteousness in secret, God will reward us. The meaning of reward here has in view a reciprocal relationship between father and child. The reward is not a commercial reward but one of even greater closeness. In what way is intimacy with God a reward?
- Jesus wanted us to do the right thing with the right motive – to please God, not to impress others. What could it look like to do the right thing with the wrong motive concerning generosity, service, or other acts of spirituality?
- We are hard-wired to desire affirmation. One of the most common remarks of a child is, “Watch me! Watch me!” But the “watch me” of childhood becomes the adult’s unspoken, but just as deep “notice me.” Where do you see “notice me” playing out in your life?
- The problem is not our desire for affirmation but where we chase it. How could knowing we are hard-wired to be noticed by God shift your understanding of affirmation?
- Intimacy with God is the most valuable prize, not the praise of others. How could you pursue intimacy with God this week?