Summer Serve is Still Happening in 2020!
It just might look a little different
For the past several years, COMMUNITY attenders have served the local community during the summer by providing a variety of services to our local partners – construction projects, landscaping and food pantry organization are just a few of the needs we have met. However, this year, due to COVID-19, Summer Serve as we have done it in the past is not possible, but we know that needs still exist for our local partners. For this reason, we are shifting our focus.
After speaking with our partners, we have heard that the shelter at home order and group gathering restrictions have introduced new expenses while significantly limiting their normal fundraising activities. So their needs right now are financial.
On Sunday, July 12, 10% of our total giving will go to supporting our local partners!
Each location is designating which partner they are supporting and 10% of what is given will be split evenly between these 10 organizations. Let’s show our communities how we can #bethechurch and give generously on July 12!
See below for the partners your gifts will support!
- World Relief
- Mission: fostering a movement among local churches to create welcoming communities where refugees and immigrants thrive
- Learn about World Relief
- Mission: Partners the local school with the community and faith-based organizations and re-imagines charity at Christmas-time
- Learn about Giftmart
- Caring Network
- Mission: Compassionately care for women who are facing an unexpected pregnancy by empowering them to choose life
- Learn about Caring Network
- Bridge Communities
- Mission: Transition homeless families to self-sufficiency by working with partners to provide mentoring, housing, and supportive services
- Learn about Bridge Communities
- The Friendship Center
- Mission: The Friendship Center offers hope and dignity through access to food, vital resources and critical social services for the northside neighborhoods of Chicago.
- Learn about The Friendship Center
- Lincoln Park Community Services
- Mission: Brings communities together to empower individuals facing homelessness and poverty to secure stable housing and make sustainable life changes.
- Learn about Lincoln Park Community Services
- The Neighbor Project (Previously Emmanuel House)
- Mission: Activating the potential of working families to revitalize their neighborhoods through savings, education and homeownership
- Learn about The Neighbor Project
- Loaves and Fishes
- Mission: Provide healthy food and impactful programs to promote self-sufficiency
- Learn about Loaves and Fishes
- Forgotten Initiative
- Mission: Support the foster care community through awareness, encouragement, and advocacy
- Learn about Forgotten Initiative
- Caring Hands Thrift Shop
- Mission: Provide support to families in our surrounding communities by providing items to those in need
- Learn about Caring Hands
Contact Loyd Bowman, email@example.com
Summer Serve is is complete for 2019 – Join is in 2020!
Summer Serve allows COMMUNITY to partner with organizations in the Chicagoland area as they work to care and support our neighbors and communities. This year we’ve set a goal of engaging 800+ volunteers at more than 40 different locations in Aurora, Chicago, Joliet, Plainfield, Lemont, Downers Grove, Montgomery, Naperville, and Yorkville.
Our first round of Summer Serve took place on June 19-22. Summer Serve continues July 20 in Downers Grove!
Serving opportunities will be available for all ages and schedules throughout the dates listed above with our partner organizations: 360 Youth Services, Aurora Interfaith Food Pantry, Bardwell Elementary School, Breakthrough Ministries, Bridge Communities, CareNet, Downers Grove School District 58, Emmanuel House, Feed My Starving Children, The Forgotten Initiative, Giftmart, Habitat for Humanity, Hesed House, ink180, Katherine Manor, Lifespring, Loaves and Fishes, New Life for Old Bags, Reclaim13, Sharing Connections, Urban Youth Ministry, Watts of Love, World Relief and Young Life.