Wonderful Counselor | Dec 10 – Dec 16, 2017
Series Big Idea
The one whose Name is above all names wants to be our Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.
Message Big Idea
As Wonderful Counselor, Jesus invites us into a wonder-filled life.
Ice Breaker and Opening Thought
- Tell the story of how you learned about the “real Santa”?
- Do you have a nickname or did you have one growing up? Explain
- Read Isaiah 9:2-7. This passage is about announcing the titles of Jesus. In your own words, what does “Wonderful Counselor” mean?
- “Wonderful” is defined as awestruck, delighted, extremely good, marvelous, surprised, and curious. When was the last time you were awestruck?
- Throughout the scriptures, people were in awe of Jesus – His birth, miraculous healings, teaching, death, and resurrection. What do you find the most awesome and why?
- “Wonder is a complex emotion involving elements of surprise, curiosity, contemplation, and joy. It is perhaps best defined as a heightened state of consciousness and emotion brought about by something singularly beautiful, rare, or unexpected . . .” –Dr. Neel Burton, Psychology Today. Which parts of this description resonate with you the most?
- Would you say you live with a sense of wonder? Why or why not?
- As a group, brainstorm ways you can experience the sense of wonder this Christmas season.
Encourage your group to pick something from the list you just brainstormed and make plans to do it. It can be something the group does together, or each person or family does separately. Communicate with one another throughout the week using emails, texts, or Facebook. Let’s approach this Christmas season with anticipation. Consider this Christmas an invitation to be wide-eyed with wonder because of the Savior who is born. Let this Christmas reawaken in you a childlike faith that expects something amazing to happen.