Racism | Aug 20-26, 2017
Series Big Idea
Conversations can help us understand the many facets of a tough topic, which can lead to us better understand the heart of God as we seek to help others find their way back to him.
As a group, watch the John Perkins video conversation, which can be found online on COMMUNITY’s media page.
- When were you first made aware of your racial and ethnic identity?
- Racism is a hard conversation topic. What experiences have you had in learning about, talking about or personally experiencing racism? Would you share a story or experience?
- What stereotypes do we see and hear in the media around race?
- What struck you most about the John Perkins video? Are there any reactions you have that you want to talk about during our group time?
- Read Genesis 1:26–31; Romans 15:5-13; Matthew 6:12, 14-15. What images and themes do you see in these verses?
- What does it mean to accept one another, as Christ accepted you?
- Why do you think Jesus links God’s forgiveness for us with our forgiveness for one another?
- Dr. Perkins says that to harm someone, we have to “deface” them. What does he mean and do you agree?
- What can be done to help restore someone’s dignity?
- Dr. Perkins says that blacks can’t fight racism alone and that whites can’t end racism alone. What role can each of us play to eliminate racism no matter our ethnic identity?
In the video, Dave explains that he grew up in a white, middle class, loving two-parent home very different from Dr. Perkins background. Dave asks him what they can do to overcome those differences and come together. How would you answer that question? Where could you get involved?