Week 2 – Is There a God? | Jan 20 – Feb 2, 2019
Message Big Idea
When we are open to the possibility of God’s existence, we’ll discover there are many indicators of his presence.
Icebreaker & Opening Thought
- When was the first time you started asking questions about the existence of God?
- Last week the challenge was to pray, “God, if you’re real, make yourself real to me.” What was your experience praying that this week?
- Read Psalm 19:1-6. What is this poem saying about the relationship between God and the world around us?
- Read 1 John 4:8. If God’s very nature is love, then what might this mean for human relationships?
- Romans 1:20. Paul says the nature of God is evident in creation. What do you think of that statement?
- There are many “pointers” that exist in our world that suggest a loving being is at the center of the universe. What pointers do you see that suggest to you a loving creator?
- If you don’t believe in God, what would it take for you to re-evaluate that position? If you consider yourself a Christ-follower, have you ever had a time when you wanted to walk away from faith? Explain.
- Our world runs at a fast pace and we are surrounded by a number of forces that compete for our time and attention. How might a relationship with God keep us grounded in something deep and real?
As we close our time today, let’s keep praying for God to make himself real to us, and let’s keep an eye out for pointers to his existence. In addition to this prayer, look for an opportunity to have a conversation with another person about our discussion tonight. Is there someone at home, or at work, or in your neighborhood that might resonate with the deep things we’re exploring and experiencing?