Unseen God | Nov 5 – Nov 11, 2017
Series Big Idea
Learning to see the unseen helps us recognize that our story is part of God’s bigger story of redemption.
Message Big Idea
The Spirit is the unseen presence and power of God in our lives.
Have you ever met someone famous? What was it like?
When we talk about God, we talk about three persons in One, the Trinity. Typically referred to as God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit – what’s been your experience talking about the Trinity? How have you heard other people talk about the Trinity?
- Read Genesis 1:1-3 and John 1:1, what stood out to you? What struck you?
- How are the three persons of the Trinity present in each verse? What can we pull from this about how God wants to interact with us?
- Read John 14:15-20, what are Jesus’ promises here? Where does the Holy Spirit fit into that?
- There are a couple of metaphors that can help us understand the work of the Holy Spirit:
A. As a magnet to draw us closer to God
B. As a lamp to shed light on the truth
C. As the wind moving through us with power and truth.
Which of these metaphors is new to you? Which one do you identify with the most?
- Which of these could help you this week with recognizing the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives? How could it help you?
- Read this quote from theologian Henri Nouwen and discuss how it could apply to your life this week: “The more willing I was to look honestly at what I was thinking and saying and doing now, the more easily I would come into touch with the movement of God’s Spirit in me, leading me to the future. God is a God of the present and reveals to those who are willing to listen carefully to the moment in which they live the steps they are to take toward the future.”
Ask your group to commit to praying this prayer daily: “Holy Spirit, make me aware of your presence and fill me with your power.” What could it mean in your life to be aware of God’s presence and the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit? Ask for that to be revealed to you this week.