From Captive to Courageous | Nov 25 – Dec 1, 2018
Message Big Idea
Turn the Page” by seeing people the way God sees people.
Ice Breaker & Opening Thought
- Who is your favorite superhero and why?
- What do you think it means to have an identity? What gives you a sense of identity?
- Read the story of Daniel and the lion’s den in Daniel 6. What stands out to you about the story?
- What do you think about Daniel’s choice to act “just as he had done before?”
- In what ways have you ever been put in a similar situation? What did you do?
- Daniel found himself in a place where his values conflicted with the Babylonian values. What differences do you see between the values taught and lived out by Jesus and the values of our contemporary culture?
- Daniel must have known it would have been easy to continue praying but in secret. However, he continued to follow God and didn’t hide his actions. In what areas of our culture do you feel pressure to conform? What do you think would happen if they didn’t conform or keep their values secret?
- Daniel stood out because of his values and was isolated as a result. In what ways have you felt out of place or isolated because of a decision you’ve made or a commitment to following Jesus? How did you handle being “out of place?”
- Daniel lived courageously. By choosing to pray and worship God as he always had done, he was risking his life. We have protections in this country for our religious freedom, but that doesn’t mean we won’t face consequences for choosing to follow God. Share an example of a time you may have been fearful in living courageously for God.
Courageous living may not mean facing man-eating lions or risking death in your life. During the week ahead, look for opportunities that you can live courageously in living the way God has called us to live. When there is a word you need to speak, an action you need to take, or a stand you need to make – go for it, with the courage that God is faithful and can help you face all fears.
Sign up for the Turn the Page Bible Experience. Visit communitychristian.org/bible to sign up and catch up on previous readings and podcasts.